Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lime/Lemon pickle



My mom makes a lots of pickles and jams.there is this one corner shelf in our kitchen cabinet where she puts them neatly bottled and dated. The wonderful aroma you get when you open that shelf is mind blowing...
Mostly it will have a few pickle bottles from my grandma too...she is a great cook and always packs us a few bottles of her specialties, every time we visit her.

So, no wonder I have a small shelf in my kitchen with pickles, jams and fruit preserves...i get it from my mom...and she gets it from her mom....its in the blood...can't help it :)
I started having  this habit rather unknowingly or out of necessity, i mean as a last resort that saves me from throwing slightly over ripened fruits...like when I had some extra pear which no one was eating, i made pear jam...a few seeded oranges in the fruit basket, which no body wanted to munch on...bcoz its pitted, then it turned into orange marmalade...and so on

But I had never tried my hand on lime pickle before...I like mango pickles a lot...but every time i make biriyani, i would love to have lime pickle with it..but tried a few store bought ones, which were not only bad, but gave us bad heart burn too...i guess its the preservatives in them...
my aunt makes a sweet and sour lime pickle which is the best one to have with biriyani...even my mom got the recipe from her sis and mastered it...thats my next attempt in pickle making for sure ;)

this one is a simple easy to make version, which is now my new favorite :) my dad will love it too...i know...he eats a lots of pickle these days (not good for his health)...so my mom has almost stopped making them these days...
last time i got home, there were hardly 2-3 bottles in the corner shelf...which is so much not like her...

Recipe is adapted from here
http://www.kothiyavunu.com/2011/09/naranga-achar-naranga-kari-authentic.html
she has a lot of yummy recipes in there, especially naadan kerala ones....God's own country delicacies :)

You'll need:


Yellow/Green Lime: 12 nos
Garlic: 12 cloves, finely chopped
Whole dried red chilli: 5 nos
Chili powder: 4 tbsp
Turmeric Powder: 1tbsp
Asafoetida: 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seed powder: 1/2 tsp
Mustard seed: 1 tsp
Gingely oil: 1/4 cup
Vinegar: 2 tsp
Curry leaves: a few sprigs
Salt: as required

How to make:


Wash the lemons and dry them well with a paper towel.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and put the whole washed lemon into it.(The original recipe calls for cooking the lemon in water for a few min)..But i have seen mom doing it this way..follow which ever method you like..
Stir the lemons in the pan for abt 5 min and drain them on a paper towel.
Once cooled, slice each lime into 8 pieces.
Add salt and mix well. Transfer it into a air tight bottle or jar and keep for 10 days, shaking the jar once in a while.
When ready to make the pickle, heat oil in the pan and add mustard seed and let it splutter. Add curry leaves and red chilis.
Add the chopped garlic and saute till its golden brown in color.
Reduce the flame to medium-low and add chili powder, fenugreek seed pwdr, turmeric pwdr and asafoetida pwdr and mix well and saute on low flame for a few seconds.
Add the lime slices along with the water and cook for a few min.
Allow it to cool and add 2 tbsps of vinegar. Add salt as per taste.
Once cooled, transfer to an air tight container or jar and store it in cool place.
Lime pickle is ready :)..don't forget it next time you make biriyani :)
I have it with everything these days....finger licking good :)

1 comment:

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.