Friday, November 14, 2014

Vepilakatti (Curry leaves chutney powder)



I graduated from a college far off from my hometown.I used to stay in the college hostel and got to visit my home maybe like once in a month or so. My mom used to pack me all kind of stuffs to eat, say pickles n snacks and what not. The hostel only provided vegetarian food, which was fine with me, but the menu they had was way too different from ours.Then I used to literally survive on these goodies my mom used to sent me with.Not only me, but my roommates and friends also loved them. After college, we get back and munch on the homemade snacks amma made along with the watery cup of tea.

Every time I go to the canteen, I will have a bottle of pickle or some chutney powder, which would help us with that meal of the day.I really don't know how I would have survived without those..Thanks to amma, lots of things we have in life is taken for granted..I guess this is one of such things..don't think we have thanked amma enough for all she had done for us sisters.She used to do the same for all three of us, who all stayed away from home for studies and work.Nostalgia creeping in, i guess..Before I bore you more, let me get on to today's recipe.
Its called vepilakatti, which is curry leaves chutney powder. "vepilla" is the malayalam word for curry leaves.
The best thing about vepilakatti is,it stays fresh for almost a month without refrigeration.
Amma used to send things that stays fresh without being kept in the fridge, yeah, of course we didnt have access to a fridge in our college hostel. And all these dry chutney powders saved a lot of us.
Even today, this is my go to food when I am sick or feeling low. Vepilakatti, steaming hot rice and curd. Nothing the world can beat this combo.

Vepilakatti (Curry leaves chutney powder)

Nikki
Published 11/14/2014

Ingredients

  • Curry leaves: 2 cups, loosely packed
  • Grated coconut: around 4 cups (from one coconut)
  • Shallots: 10 nos
  • Dry whole chili: 7-8nos
  • Tamarind: a small lemon sized piece
  • Oil: 2 tbsp (preferably coconut oil) 
  • Salt: as per taste

Instructions

  1. Wash and dry the curry leaves on a kitchen towel. Peel the shallots and cut into halves.
  2. Heat oil in a pan on medium heat.Add the whole chillis and fry for 2 min, add the shallot pieces,grated coconut and fry for 5 min.
  3. Add the tamarind piece and the curry leaves and stir well continuously until the coconut turns slightly golden brown in color and becomes crispy.
  4. Turn off the flame and let it cool for a while.Once completely cooled, transfer to a mixer, add the salt and grind to a fine powder.
Store in an airtight container. Stays fresh in the pantry for 3-4 weeks.Make sure you use a dry spoon every time you devour it :)

P.S: Feel free to add more curry leaves if you have it on hand.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.